Anarchy Nation - A forum for the twisted!
October 18, 2017, 07:39:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Link Exchange ToS/DMCA Contact Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How are the gun laws in the Country you live in?  (Read 9882 times)
Anarchology
Administrator

View Profile WWWAnarchologyORG
1PGrhhSNXpYeo3DD7bnU9RMvJFX7A2uFoh

« on: March 02, 2009, 02:04:08 AM »

After reading trezza's post response in another section, I figured I'd through this out to everyone to get a better understanding about how laws are in other countries regarding guns. To be honest, I'm kind of oblivious when it comes to the majority of laws concerning guns and related items in other countries other than my own. So, here are a couple questions...

1. What Country you live in?
- You can be vague on this one.

2. Can you own rifles in your country?
- If yes, what can you own and legally buy? (bolt action, semi-auto, fully auto)

3. Can you own handguns in your country?
- if yes, what can you own and legally buy? (revolvers, pistols, fully auto)

4. If you can own any of the above, what kind of qualifications must you meet to own?
- Things like age, criminal background checks, certain identification card.

5. If you can own any of the above, are there laws against concealed carry?
- Basically asking if you can legally have a gun on you or in your car.

BONUS: If you can't legally own a gun, how hard is it to get your hands on a black-market gun?
- Lets stick to basics on this question, since who the fuck knows who lurks on this forum.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 02:09:21 AM by Anarchology » Logged
Anarchology
Administrator

View Profile WWWAnarchologyORG
1PGrhhSNXpYeo3DD7bnU9RMvJFX7A2uFoh

« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 02:24:44 AM »

1. United States

2. We can own pretty much any kind of rifle. There have been bans against assault weapons over the past decade. This ban was expired in 2004, but looks like the new Administration is looking to reinstate the ban. Either way, it looks like fully automatic weapons are banned to anyone other than police and military.

3. As a country, handguns are legal. But, exactly where I live, you cannot own a handgun within the city limits. I'll be moving this summer to a better town.

4. I'm not completely sure on age, but a FOID (firearm owner's identification card) is needed to purchase any kind of gun. The age to purchase any gun is at 21, but there might be some kind of exception when it comes to shotguns.

5. Unless you are police or security, you won't find many legal concealed carrying citizens here. There are other States that do allow for it, and I wish I lived in one of them.

BONUS: Never tried, but figure it isn't hard to get a hold of a gun off the black market. Given the fact that the city I live in has a great deal of gun violence (most being handguns), while it is illegal to own a handgun within the city makes me think it is much easier for an outlaw to get a gun than a law abiding citizen.
VoiceofDissent

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 11:05:53 PM »

I must correct you on a few things about US gun laws:

The legal age to but long guns (rifles and shotguns) is only 18, Handguns are 21.

As far as the FOID I don't know where you live but I've never heard of such bullshit. I wouldn't put it past the state of California, but I've never heard of such a law anywhere else.

If you go to a store, store owners have to keep records of their sales for the BATFE and you do have to fill out a dated with your name, where you live, and all that and what gun you bought and when.
This is a requirement for Federally licenced firearm dealers.

Contrary to popular belief though, In MOST all of the US if not all there is no requirement to 'register' your guns. You can buy a gun at a gun show, or from someone you know and not fill out a single scrap of paper, and you can own that gun completely off the books.  Smiley So use that right and hang onto it, because I don't think our new administration is very fond of it.  Angry

You may in your state have to get a permit to own handguns. That means you have to go to the courthouse and get a background check, and if you're clean they give you a permit to buy and posses a pistol with. But once you have it you can still probably buy your pistol through private sale. In most states though you don't need permits for anything other than Class 3 items.

Which, actually ARE available to the public but you need some special permits and registrations. And for each class 3 item there's a $200 tax. Class 3 items are full auto, silencers/sound suppressors, short barrel rifle (barrel length UNDER 16") and destructive devices, which includes a lot of things including short barrel shotguns (barrel length under 18"). Oh and for machineguns, due to an anti-gun bill passed in 1986 banning newly made machineguns, you can't own any machineguns made after 1986.  Shrug They did this so eventually one day there won't be any machineguns in private hands anymore. But everything else, the silencers and short barrel guns you can still get made new and all that.

If you want a general idea of that then go to gunbroker dot com and look at their class 3 items for sale. (there are always some auctions there that are in the wrong pace so don't be surprised if you mistakenly see a plain AR-15 in that section or some shit  Roll Eyes)

(In case you were wondering, a FFL license is what gives stores the ability to have guns and ammo shipped to their stores straight from the manufacturer, whereas a private individual has to either get his guns from another private individual or...you guessed it-an FFL dealer)

I should also mention to everyone that US laws are unrestricted as far as anything made before 1899, muzzleloaders and ammo. You'd be surprised the bullshit you have to go through in other countries just to get ammo.

[so in short, buy private if you can! hang onto your 2nd ammendment rights!]
VoiceofDissent

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 11:18:49 PM »

I thought I'd throw in some good links relavent to this thread, if I may:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122394012224530655.html

(About the failing draconian gun laws in China, Hint: They can't own ANY GUNS WHATSOEVER)

http://englishrussia.com/?p=965

(About the self made guns of the Chechen Rebels)

http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/

(A good reference for finding your state gun laws)

And I'd also check out a site called backwoods home dot com, they have good articles on guns and gun politics among other really cool things like growing your own food. They had one awhile back on how to bury a gun for 15 years and be assured it still works   Cool And another one about the rather scary ammunition accountability act, look that one up, it would require that all ammo be microstamped and registered when bought so they can keep track of every bullet you buy. Besides the obvious big brotherism imagine how expensive that would make ammo Bang Head

nitrex
VIP Member

A chemistry student

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 01:49:39 PM »

1) The country i live in is United Arab Emirates.

2) Nope, rifles are pretty much used by the army and not the civilians

3) Nope again, Handguns are used by the police.

4) You can't own any gun, basically it is illegal to own them

5) There aren't any laws about it since it is illegal to own one

6) Surprisingly we don't have a black market, but if you can improvise one then go ahead, but it must be kept away from the public.

joseptomas

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 02:19:37 AM »

drt

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2009, 07:10:32 PM »

Interresting topic.  ne sites with this kind of info?
Gray Rider

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »

Guns. One of my favorite subjects. 

VoiceofDissent has pretty much accurately explained Federal law regarding machine guns and other NFA (National Firearms Act) goodies. I would add that currently two states , Montana and Tennessee, have recently passed laws that will challenge the NFA and other Federal Firearms laws. The NFA back in 1934 based its enforceablity and legality on the Interstate Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution, hence the reason why it's actually a punitive tax on these particular firearms and not an outright ban.

Montana and Tennessee have passed legislation that basically says if any firearm is manufactured in its state and never crossed state lines then any Federal gun law doesn't apply. BATFE must be worried since they recently sent out letters to FFL dealers telling them that Federal law supercedes State law which of course is pure bull in this instance, since the Constitution is very clear where Federal powers end.

Montana currently doesn't have a gun manufacturer within its state, that I'm aware of , but they are preparing to go to court with a test case.

Tennessee has Barrett Firearms who specialize in .50 cal  rifles.  When California banned .50 cal rifles Barrett told them he would no longer sell his products to Law Enforcement in California and would no longer service the ones they already purchased.  No word yet on any test cases in the works in  Tennessee.

Would love to hear from anyone who lives in Switzerland since I last heard they had pretty lenient gun laws including those regarding real assault weapons (machine guns). I also heard their gun rights were under heavy attack.
Snpr13

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2009, 12:25:54 AM »

I have to disagree with Voiceofdissedent. Shotguns are 16" as well not 18" in NY State. Alos NY it is not legal to own a fully auto or anything elase reqiuring a class 3, they dont exist in NY. As for concealed carry you have to ahve a permit and there a pain in the ass to get and o/c is unloaded with the 3 step rule, your ammo cant be in 3 steps of the gun.
Gray Rider

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2009, 08:06:25 AM »

Gray Rider

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 12:26:06 PM »

As far as short guns:  Winchester released a replica of Steve McQueen's "Hog Leg"   from the  "Wanted: D or A" TV show.( I t was a short stocked 1892 Winchester.)  It was later banned by Fed, regulations, but the ban was lifted when they were shown it was a "replica" of a pre-1898 pattern gun, chambered for black powder.

Brace yourself things get real confusing when dealing with the BATFE. I vaguely recall the firearm but couldn't find any actual specs on it yet (barrel length etc.) as released to the public. However based on Federal law here's how Winchester could have made an NFA exempt McQueen "Hog Leg":

#1: the rifle had a barrel of 16 inches and overall length of 26 inches. (not likely)
#2: It was actually manufactured as pistol (12 inch barrel)(most likely since these are still being made today be other companies)

Here's the confusing part: by Federal law you can't cut down an existing rifle or take a rifle receiver/frame and turn it into a pistol without it being an NFA  firearm. You can however build a pistol from the the ground up as long as it meets BATFE's definition of what a constitutes a pistol. You can even take a pistol and if the design allows it, swap out the barrel for a 16 inch , add a shoulder stock to come up to 26 inches total length and you're good to go. Just don't ever have that short barrel on there while the shoulder stock is in place. ( don't you just love their "logic" ?)  I suspect when Winchester first came out with the McQueen "Hog Leg" as a pistol BATFE got all bent out shape and considered that little stub of wood  on the end a shoulder stock and thus an NFA short barreled rifle.

Here's some interesting links on the gun:
Code:
http://www.gunsamerica.com/924143956/Guns/Rifles/Winchester-Rifles-Modern-Lever/Other-Lever/Post-64/1892_MARE_S_LEG.htm
Code:
http://www.jbcustom.com/new-mares.htm
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare's_Leg
Code:
http://www.bountyhunterspecial.com/

CA also has a stupid law banning Yugo SKS's--their are posters near the AZ border. Seems a Yugo with a grenade launcher attachment makes it a .750" bore rifle (??) and against the .50 caliber law(?).  I have removed my launcher. I'd like to take it in under their noses.  And, a few Ferrets.

Actually I think they have problem with the grenade launcher part. When the yugos were first coming in several dealers made modfications to the launcher for California sales and turned it into a muzzle break. It would no longer function as a launcher but still looked close to the original.

Plus, with the import ban of 1968, no more are being imported, it is a fixed number.

Not long ago thousands of WW2 era American made Thompson SMGs were found in Russia. We sent them over during the war but the Russians didn't use .45 ACP ammo so they sat in cosmoline all these years. They are now coming back to us as nearly pristine parts kits minus the receivers which have been torched . Brings tears to my eyes when I think of these collectible pieces  gone forever. Cry

Speaking of collectibles and pre-1898 guns:  Does an old Maxim machine gun, say from 1897, qualify as a collectible, not a firearm?  I can't get a straight answer on this.  What about an 1885 Maxim, with a black powder loading?

Excellent question. BATFE seems to contradict itself. Here's the official BATFE NFA Handbook:

Code:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/nfa/nfa_handbook/nfa_handbook-rev0409.pdf

BTW blackpowder in the cartridge doesn't make a difference. Federal law is pretty clear on this. If it was made in 1898 or later and uses any separate powder cartridge it's considered a modern firearm, thus the muzzleloader exemption.

yomama360

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2009, 10:31:25 PM »

in america, my guns are bought with a lil patience and some licenses...EASY
Cynns

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 09:27:13 PM »

. What Country you live in?
Alberta, Canada

- I beleive we can have bolt action, and semi auto. But not fully auto

Revolvers and pistols we can, but certain makes, are illegal, and fully autos are definetly illegal

4. If you can own any of the above, what kind of qualifications must you meet to own?
Age 12-17 you must have and hold on you at all times, and minors firearms certificate, and you are restricted to certain firearms.
18+ same as above but it is a more serious, licence to go through, the federal government does background checks, and you must
hold and carry the licence for each and every gun you own on you at all times.

Technically you can, if it has the safety on, the trigger lock, and it is in a case, but still if police pull you over and see that you have one, your going
down town, and will be asked questions, even tho if you have your certificates on you.

BONUS: If you can't legally own a gun, how hard is it to get your hands on a black-market gun?
Where i live i would say medium, or on a scale on 1 to 10 its a 5, but i know some people. and i could pick up a 9mm for about 1100 bucks canadian.
Bowdlerize
VIP Member

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2009, 06:26:58 PM »

1. What Country you live in?

Australia

Rifles - Yes bolt action only, 5 round max mag capacity.
Shotguns - Yes, but no pump actions

Yes but they must be kept on a registered range at all times.

18+, no violent crime convictions, license required for rifles & shotguns. Must hold rifle/shotgun license for 18 months before applying for handgun license.
Must be a member of a target range to apply for handguns.

The only way you could ever have a gun off private property is to be taking it hunting, to a friends or a range.

8/10, you have to know the right people and know them well. But a few years ago I saw a G17 trade hands for $1500.
I know there are military rifles out there but they rarely surface.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:36:43 PM by Bowdlerize » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
    Content such as images and videos posted by members are NOT hosted on Anarchy Nation servers. They are hotlinks where the images are hosted elsewhere, and the links point to these these third party sites. None of these sites are affiliated with Anarchy Nation. Do not submit DMCA requests to the owners of this site. Instead follow the links, and request the files themselves be removed from the file hosting site's servers. Learn more about our DMCA Policy by clicking here.

Anarchy Nation takes no responsibility for what any user encounters when following a link outside this website. This includes (but not limited to) advertisements, pop-ups, embedded adware/malware, suggestion of paid subsriptions, etc. We highly encourage users to have proper firewall, anti-virus and malicious script-blocking software installed on their platforms. It is better to be safe than sorry!

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com