Anarchy Nation - A forum for the twisted!
May 25, 2017, 08:53:12 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Link Exchange ToS/DMCA Contact Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diesel Cars  (Read 45538 times)
cll666

Respect: +1

View Profile
« on: March 13, 2011, 12:00:47 AM »

Hey guys I'm new to this forum but noticed you have an automotive section here. So a little bit about me is that I am 22 in college in a northeastern state. I am looking to buy a new car(with a little financing from my parents as a graduation gift) and I pretty much have my sights set on the 2010 Volkwagen GTD diesel as it is a small hatchback with great mileage. The only thing is I don't know much about diesel fuel and would like to get your inputs on the pros and cons of using diesel. thanks!
mallory

Respect: +14

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:08:02 AM »

I know some diesels get Great mileage--say, 50+  mpg. You can even burn bio-fuel (glycerol) to save $3.59 per gallon.  I know to avoid early Mercedes diesels, they lack power. The newer ones with Turbo are OK.

EDIT:  I've heard of diesels being slow to start in cold weather--I'm not sure if they've solved this problem or not.

To quote another member:

http://anarchology.org/index.php?action=profile;u=17128

I have a Love/Hate relationship with my current car. I have a 2001 Volkswagen Jetta TDI (Turbo Diesel Injected).

I love the fact that this car get 60mpg on the highway (40-42 in town). I love that it burns diesel. I've made my own biodiesel and put it in the car. Works great!

I hate that Volkswagens are so freakin' expensive for parts/service.

If I drove more miles (I only drive about 6k per year), I'd get a small diesel pickup from Europe and drive THAT! Why we can't build more diesels here in the states is beyond me!!!

Hope this Helps. Smiley

« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 07:01:35 AM by mallory » Logged
shutup

Respect: +4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »

Diesel is often cheaper and it often gives you more power. Diesel is great because you don't have to worry about ignition/spark problems. And yes, bio-diesel is a great way to save a ton of money if you can get your hands on enough used veggie oil. A buddy of mine even started burning used motor oil (mixed with a little bit of gasoline), but that's a much more complicated setup.
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »

shutup

Respect: +4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:18:11 AM »

as for diesels being hard to start in cold weather, that shouldn't be a problem if it's equipped with glow plugs.
rabengard

Respect: -1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 05:33:21 AM »

Diesel is awesome! Unless you want to race. A diesel produces way more power at same consumption as usual gasengines. The only problem you can't ignite a Diesel at 12k rpm, that's why they don't work with a Formula1 car. If you need to travel long distances A diesel is cheaper, quiter and smoother to drive. And the old mercedes diesels are great too. And they don't lack power at all. They are meant to be a smooth car. Take BMW for example, they don't want to make their cars smooth, that why you have stiff handling and higher tuned engines.
Outstory

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2012, 03:30:47 PM »
+1

Old diesels are loud but they are built to last!
I have a diesel and never looked back to gas
It's cheaper and way more fuel efficient
But maintaining it may cost more
An oil change for example
Diesel engines uses 2-3 times more oil
picsuploads

Respect: 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »

Diesel :)
gladius

Respect: +2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 11:23:26 AM »
+1

I had a 1981 diesel VW Rabbit, in which I logged over 100k miles. If I remember correctly, at that time, diesel was approx. the same price as unleaded gasoline. Though I thoroughly enjoyed the vehicle, there were some distinct advantages and disadvantages:

+ mileage was outstanding; not quite what the manufacturer claimed, but still much better than any other car I'd owned...including a Honda CVCC.
+ diesel doesn't pose the fire danger that gasoline does, so you can safely carry a spare fuel can on board.
+ very little maintenance was required; my diesel had glow plugs instead of spark plugs.
+ it could also run on home heating fuel; though technically, it was against the law to do so.
+ my Rabbit had approx. a 10-11 gallon fuel tank; when the Winter temps neared approx. 10 degrees F, I'd add one gallon of unleaded to every
  9 -10 gallons of diesel; it worked like a charm.

- diesels have a lot of torque, but they tend to lack the quick acceleration of a gas engine.
- there weren't as many diesel pumps available at the gas stations, then, as there are today.
- at approx. 10 degrees F., diesel fuel begins to jell; so in Winter, if you're not buying fuel that has already been winterized, you need to keep an
   eye on the weather and put an additive in your fuel tank when the temperature nears that magic number.
- once the fuel has jelled in the line, nothing short of getting the car into a warm garage will get it running again.
- when you do need to take a VW to the dealership, parts and service can be a little expensive; but then, so can Toyota's.
- they sound like a tractor; though it kind of grows on you.

Also, some things to consider:
- in order to comply with EPA standards, I believe that most diesels sold in the U.S. today have a urea/ammonia reservoir incorporated into the
  exhaust system. My buddy just showed me his new 2013 Chev Diesel Truck (believe it's an Isuzu designed engine) and it had a big 3 gallon urea/
  ammonia tank on the passenger side of the engine compartment against the firewall.  Of course, a VW's would probably be
  smaller. Chevy also now has a passenger car on the market with a 4 cylinder turbo diesel (believe it's an Opel designed engine).
- most places I've been over the last couple years, diesel fuel usually costs a little more than gasoline.
- some diesel engines require and have installed in them two batteries; giving more power to start the engine.
- if the diesel fuel is not low in sulfur, depends on where it comes from, you can find yourself changing the engine oil more often.
+ in third world countries or in regions of the world that are undergoing economic crisis, gasoline can often times be in short supply. But,
  because diesel is required to keep farm equipment, trains, ships, furnaces, etc. running, you can usually obtain it somewhere....for a price.
+ a well built diesel engine should be good for 250 k miles, at least.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 06:02:30 AM by gladius » Logged
vivechna

Respect: +43

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 02:01:18 AM »

i have a diesel car it starts like wiz in winter or summer. Never had any problem with starting the vehicle or fuel consumption
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 02:01:18 AM »

xxx-peria

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 04:49:42 AM »
+1

The newer ones with Turbo are OK
Sashkalegion

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 02:59:57 AM »

Just TDI  Wink
cris07

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »

I prefer diesel cars, better than TDI
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 11:24:41 AM »

samosb71

Respect: +2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2014, 04:25:44 AM »

If you don't live in a very cold weather diesel is your best bet
tadpole220

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 08:58:18 AM »

i've never had any problem with diesel engine so far
szfinx15

Respect: -10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2015, 12:09:36 PM »

I haven't diesel car sorry, but I want one :(

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
    Content such as images and videos posted by members are NOT hosted on Anarchy Nation servers. They are hotlinks where the images are hosted elsewhere, and the links point to these these third party sites. None of these sites are affiliated with Anarchy Nation. Do not submit DMCA requests to the owners of this site. Instead follow the links, and request the files themselves be removed from the file hosting site's servers. Learn more about our DMCA Policy by clicking here.

Anarchy Nation takes no responsibility for what any user encounters when following a link outside this website. This includes (but not limited to) advertisements, pop-ups, embedded adware/malware, suggestion of paid subsriptions, etc. We highly encourage users to have proper firewall, anti-virus and malicious script-blocking software installed on their platforms. It is better to be safe than sorry!

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com