Anarchy Nation - A forum for the twisted!
July 29, 2014, 03:40:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Link Exchange ToS/DMCA Contact Login Register  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SERIOUS QUESTION: I have a felony record, but want a job in law enforcement  (Read 3512 times)
EXPLODER
Prankster

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2009, 03:30:33 AM »

Here is the deal. I was convicted of Wire Fraud when I was 21 years old. Long story short, I was a stupid teenager who did one of those credit card phishing schemes at the end of the 1990's. The raided my place after shortly after I turned 18 (FUCK). I was never arrested, nor did I ever see a day in any kind of jail or prison. In fact, I've never been arrested to this day for any reason (knocks on wood). The only other stint on my record was a speeding ticket I forgot to pay.

Well, the whole process took them over 2 years to finally sentence me, and I got off pretty easy. I had a $2,000 fine, house arrest for 6 months with no ankle restraint, some community service, and 5 years probation. That has all since been completed with no problems. The one thing that sucks is that its a federal felony (because it was over state lines), so I'm fucked when it comes to expunging it, since the President would have to say yes!

I've been interested in possible careers around the lines of security, law enforcement, and potentially the military. I don't know how my record would play into it though. It was a non-violent white-collar crime, so hopefully that does help out a little bit.

I've been looking into some of the loopholes in regards to the nature of my crime and the restrictions, one of which is not being able to own a gun. Bang Head Still, I think there is some hope. I have come across some hope, but still need to do a little more investigating into it.

Can anyone shed some light into either legal actions (with some sources if you got them), and/or stories of friends/family that have been able to get around something like a felony to get a job in law enforcement or something related around those lines?

Thanks guys!

Administrator Comment Per request of the original poster, this is being moved over to a public section on this board to help broaden the possible answers and help. Guests can now add their comments and/or research.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:44:23 AM by Anarchology » Logged
chaos
VIP Member
Anarchist

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 03:40:17 AM »

Demented
Little Baby

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2009, 08:28:43 PM »

I am in the same boat as EXPLODER. 5 years ago I got into some trouble (non-violent), went through court and received fines and 3 years of SIS probation. SIS probation means that if you make it through your time without anymore offenses then the charges pending from court will be dropped, but if you don't then you recieve the charges and usually have jail time over your head. The Judge specifically told me when I make it through the SIS probation it will be like it never happened, lol. I made it through just fine, paid my fines off and everything, but what they don't tell you is that even though you make it through it will always be visible to certain employers for example, Home Depot=NO, any kind of security=YES. Also if you ever have to go back to court again for any reason they WILL bring it back up and use it against you. Since this has came back and bitten me in the ass several times. I would love to be in the Military, always have, but I probably wont be getting in with nothing short of another draft. All the job possibilities in security can pull a higher clearance of background checks and on their posted Job Qualifications a felony exempts you. Word of advice, always get a lawyer so he/she can tell you how its really going to be, never believe what your told in court from Prosecuting Attorney or the Judge they can be lying pieces of shit, true story!
edisapimp
Little Baby

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 01:34:09 AM »

As a military veteran, I can say this to you. If you are truly interested in enlisting in the military, you have the option of lying to your recruiter about your record. They WILL, however, run a background check on you, and if you pop hot (your record comes up), you'll have one of two options. Either 1.) Come clean to your recruiter and see if he can get you a waiver for conduct, or 2.) Come clean to your recruiter and get kicked out of the station (then try going to the Navy perhaps).

If you are straight up with your recruiter about your record, since it's kind of a serious crime, they might just tell you to fuck off and get a job at McDonald's. The truth is, our recruiting numbers these days are so low, they are waiving more and more and more serious crimes for conduct it's frightening. But hell, we need people. So if you're serious about enlisting, give it a shot. What's the worst that happens - they tell you no?
Demented
Little Baby

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 07:04:04 PM »

I understand what your saying completely. I went to see an army recruiter last summer and I wasn't in there 10 minutes! He did the usual and asked about my record and I told him about it since it's mainly just dumb shit I done as a kid, nothing too serious. He then went on and asked about the education i've had, I got a high school diploma and some college for Electrical Trades since it was offered with my job, but halfway into the second semester I got laid-off. He then said theres basically nothing I can do for you and that I needed so much college to even meet the requirement and because of my record, he then told me about a guy that they just turned down because he had a possesion of marijuana charge from 15 years ago, thats it, that was the only thing on his record. He said the reason being was because they didn't have a high demand for recruits, and when that happens the requirements can fluctuate. I have a cousin that just joined the Navy, (he has no record), and he was saying that there being flooded with recruits right now due to the recession, I think a lot of people are leaning towards the military for job security and such. Bit yeah that just blows me away, and I'll keep on trying till I do get in for that matter.
ninefingers
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:06:11 AM »

Ill be like it never happened, lol. I made it through just fine, paid my fines off and everything, but what they don't tell you is that even though you make it through it will always be visible to certain employers for example, Home Depot=NO, any kind of security=YES. Also if you ever have to go back to court again for any reason they WILL bring it back up and use it against you. Since this has came back and bitten me in the ass several times. higher clearance of background checks and on their posted Job Qualifications a felony exempts you. Word of advice, always get a lawyer so he/she can tell you how its really going to be, never believe what your told in court from Prosecuting Attorney or the Judge they can be lying pieces of shit, true story!

Yeah. We've been thru that. Technically, in my case and a relation's; since there was no conviction+ no charge=no record. Yet it cost us $5000 to have a "non-existent" record "purged"; the lawyer said. Even so; who's to say there aren't photostats of this still filed somewhere?  You can't find something if They don't want you to. Bang Head
ninefingers
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2009, 08:37:30 AM »

Thomas Lamar Bean, a federally-licensed firearms dealer, was arrested by Mexican border police in 1998 after crossing into Mexico with one case of approximately 200 shotgun shells in his vehicle.

Bean and three associates had attended a gun show in Laredo, Texas, earlier in the day and, according to court records, the group decided to go into Mexico for dinner that night. Testimony by Bean's companions indicated that he had instructed them to remove all firearms and ammunition from the vehicle before departing, but the shotgun shells were overlooked.

Bean was found guilty of "unlawfully importing ammunition" under Mexican law, a felony at the time. Publicity about Bean's case has resulted in the classification of such actions being reduced to a misdemeanor.

The Man lies to you. I have seen border crossing booklets at Nogales, etc, saying:  "importation of firearms   and ammo  from Mexico illegal".   Bull. I called a few numbers: it's OK  with a permit/license, and  if they aren't proven stolen by serial number, Class 3, and the  serial numbers good, etc. Most  don't bother,  and just smuggling them across a big offense if caught.

Plus in Bean's case, there may have been a receipt if he'd been to a show....
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 08:39:32 AM by ninefingers » Logged
latters
Little Baby

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 01:06:53 PM »

i have 3 felonies..it sucks trying to get a good job Bang Head
derekcjansen
Little Baby

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 03:27:16 PM »

Usually the military will look the other way on a lot of stuff, especially the Army or Marines due to the fact that they desperately need people. Since your crime was non-violent, It could help.

Also, you might be able to find something in the information security business. I know the Gov't hires hackers on occasion to work FOR them instead of against them. It's not exactly law enforcement per se but it's close. They might take you for your expertise on internet fraud. I can't speak for them however but it could do you some good to ask some questions.
Anarchy Nation - A forum for the twisted!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
    Content such as images and videos posted by members are NOT hosted on Anarchy Nation servers. They are hotlinks where the images are hosted elsewhere, and the links point to these these third party sites. None of these sites are affiliated with Anarchy Nation. Do not submit DMCA requests to the owners of this site. Instead follow the links, and request the files themselves be removed from the file hosting site's servers. Learn more about our DMCA Policy by clicking here.

Anarchy Nation takes no responsibility for what any user encounters when following a link outside this website. This includes (but not limited to) advertisements, pop-ups, embedded adware/malware, suggestion of paid subsriptions, etc. We highly encourage users to have proper firewall, anti-virus and malicious script-blocking software installed on their platforms. It is better to be safe than sorry!

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com