Anarchy Nation - A forum for the twisted!
October 19, 2017, 08:18:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Link Exchange ToS/DMCA Contact Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Muscle vs. Tuner Debate Thread!  (Read 47756 times)
SilviaDrift

Respect: +1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 04:55:41 PM »
+1

I love these kinds of threads, it's almost like asking for a flame war.

I love imports. They're what me and my generation generally know. I drive a Nissan 240sx, with the heart of a Nissan skyline.
My dad has an old Plymouth sattelite, but also owns a Nissan 350z.

It's not about who is the best, it's about respecting another person's ride. My car is stupid fast - 12.5 quarter mile, but there is always someone faster. When someone says "oh tuners are shitty cars." they are, to me, announcing their fear of change or modern technology.
Pulling 750 horsepower out of an I-6 with 2.6 liters is no small task, but neither is getting 27 mpg from that same engine.
I don't know any muscle cars that get that knd of mpgs.
But DAMN do I love 68 rs camaros...
Kingalbrect79

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense of stupidity

Respect: +6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2010, 06:11:34 AM »
+1

The traditional theme of hot rodding is to strip your car down, swap engines and generally try to make it out perform the next guy all while spending as little money as possible. Professional drag racing and other forms of auto racing have diluted the culture a little, but only a little.

You can't expect to ask which one is better because you will never get a straight answer. Statistically the older generations that grew up around muscle cars will lean more towards muscle cars. The newer generations cannot afford classic muscle as they are getting more expensive and hard to find, not to mention they don't have the faintest idea how to make them go fast. New cars are cheaper to find in mass quantities for sale around $1000 or less and provide an almost endless supply of junk yard motors to swap parts from.

Regardless whether your car does 16 seconds or 6 seconds in a quarter mile, if you enjoy having fun with it, learn something new and keep it off the streets so that you don't kill yourself or others, then more power to you.

Statistically the ratio of muscle vs. tuners is skewed until one generation begins to die off in rapid succession, only then will you see a definitive shift in preference.

Until then gear-heads of all ages will get together and challenge each other to race and try to beat each other, hopefully on the track.

Just for the record I have owned four hondas as well as three classic chevies, and I currently own a 1971 Cutlass. So I can go either way, I just prefer Muscle personally.

King
Jb12

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »
+1

Imports can be fun... But how can you go wrong with muscle? A v8s roar is like a naked blonde ringing a dinner bell, what's not to like.
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2010, 03:39:08 PM »

camlib

Respect: +2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 07:17:01 AM »
+1

When i was younger i loved building funny cars, i once got a 6litre V8 into a small sedan and had to sit where the back seats were to drive it but it was great fun at the stop light next to the Porche that you left in a cloud of rubber smoke.

It is not possible any more because fuel is too expensive and insurance too high.
NMB123

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »
+1

i love both, taking the crude power from an all motor v8 muscle or cramming so much boost in on an import it screams, both have their drawbacks but who cares.
mallory

Respect: +14

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2011, 09:38:30 AM »

i love both, taking the crude power from an all motor v8 muscle or cramming so much boost in on an import it screams, both have their drawbacks but who cares.

I agree,  but Something about the roar of a v8, or even vee-six. . Not like the whine of a four-banger. My Mazda had EFI and five speeds; used them all, it was very light and would get out of its own way--take 3 adults up the Marin Headlands, no sweat.  But the mash-the-pedal Torque of a long-stroking engine can't be beat. Kicking big rooster tails from the  wheels in the desert--Vrrrrmmm... the sound of power. Smiley

My dad has an old Plymouth sattelite

What body style/engine is your Dad's? Smiley

Yeah, I had a '69 wagon, 318, 2 Bbl, 3 speed auto.  BUT--unmodified--it still had Plenty of power. My first Vee-eight--one of the best cars made, best Year for American. No Smog except a PCV valve (which is OK by me).Everything was Steel; no "5mph" foam- rubber bumpers, all Switches on dash or on floor. No pansy little column switch to do it all and then f**k up and affect everything. Ign. switch On the dash--not linked to everything else.  NO problems; not Ever. Woulda kept it but  my then "girl friend"(c***)  wanted "something newer" (it was 1979-!!) I'll Never listen to a dame, again....Smiley

That's  my problem with my V6, now--ignition occasionally fails and washers/wipers have  a mind of their own. Radio won't work--it's ALL in those column switches; a B*** to get at. Bang Head

Get a 240sx, thats where the funs at

Why are these old Jap cars so Expen$ive?  I wanted an old Jag, but thought a 240/260, or, even 280Z would look like it and be a lot cheaper/more reliable.  You sure pay a LOT for a bunch of recycled tin cans!

NO--not cutting them down. But, they are like real estate in CA--very pretty, but, really, you want to pay 3x what its worth for the privilege?!

Reminds Me--my aging friend with the '69 and '71 Jags has to move--I promised to keep in touch. I prefer the '69.  He can't  take them with him.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:23:26 AM by mallory » Logged
ruritania

Respect: +2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2011, 07:35:46 PM »
+1

I used to like hot rods exclusively.  I still think they have more style and soul.

However, I've come to appreciate things like brakes and the ability to turn a corner using only the steering wheel and no throttle.

I think the real truth is people should do what they love, even though they're probably wasting time and money on the wrong platform.
darkvillan77

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2011, 01:59:12 PM »

Both cars ar great, but my heart is with muscle, especially Shelby Mustang!
Slowcars4life
VIP Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »

I have always preferred imports, but its just my taste preference just like everybody prefers different beer. Either way we enjoy what we like and can respect othe rides
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2011, 08:03:26 PM »

pietje666

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »

both are interesting
both can drift but the handling makes the difference
in muscles i prefer camaro iroc-z manual
in tuners i prefer subaru impreza wrx or skyline r32 or skyline 34
modusvivendi

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2012, 02:05:37 PM »

*adjusts flame suit*

what the europeans consider a muscle car is much different from what we consider muscle cars. i love these muscle cars they are great cars very powerful and very intelligent and can also be considered tuners by many due to there tuning abilities. these cars are amazing. most of these cars are made by mercededes, astin martin, jaguar, etc, and are what we considered v8 luxury cars

american muscle cars are good for what they are built to be good at. straight line driving. and even then they have stiff competition from the import world (this coming from an american percpective). i am a red blooded american and i want to love american muscle cars so much because they represent us as a nation. the unfortunate side is they are retarded. trying to drive one thats reasonably priced around a corner stock is stupid. i mean up until the zr-1 (maybe the c6) corvettes still used archaic leaf springs in there rear suspension. come on guys we have alot of catching up to do.

i personally prefer the import tuner world

i drive a 2008 sti owned a 2006 sti, own a 1969 pontiac firebird (love the classics) and my wife drives a 240sx. they're light, they can drive around corners (as long as its awd or rwd) and do straight lines fast. i dont care if it sounds like garbage (lets face it inline fours leave much to be desired in the sound department) but with a proper set up these will walk all over v-8s and they have. inline 6's are prefered across the world in touring cars due to there balance, h4's are prefered by alot of cars for there low profile and the ability to be front engine and be set so far back in the engine bay. and they sound amazing. the downside to these is with out forced induction you are severely limited in power.

that and stock to stock an sti will beat a vette down the 1/4 just because it can out launch it.. any farther (in a straight line) and its the vette hands down. that taken into consideration choose your car for what you want to do with it
redrider500

Respect: 0

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 05:41:16 AM »

Muscle wins. There is no substitute for a big bad V8
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2012, 05:41:16 AM »

NowSingle7

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 09:06:17 PM »

Muscle.  Nobody is going to look back and say "look at that Celica" like they do Mustangs, Corvettes, etc.
shooter11b

Respect: +35

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2013, 06:28:23 AM »

Muscle cars better than tuner cars.
I love muscle car, and i hope i bought muscle car
SX4Art

Respect: 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2013, 05:26:44 AM »

I'll take the sound of a well built V8 anyday. That being said , I have nothing against the import tuners. Each generation of gearheads works on & drives what they can get cheap. There's nothing wrong with that. As long as us "gearheads" have something to play with, personalize, and tweak its all good.
I really dont care for the huge spoilers some of these peeps put on their cars, or the annoying buzz of some of their exhausts but Im sure there are more than a few that dont like the sound of my 351C with straight pipes. I personally love it.
I have found that the imports generally handle curves better than my old Torino but I got them in a straight line.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
    Content such as images and videos posted by members are NOT hosted on Anarchy Nation servers. They are hotlinks where the images are hosted elsewhere, and the links point to these these third party sites. None of these sites are affiliated with Anarchy Nation. Do not submit DMCA requests to the owners of this site. Instead follow the links, and request the files themselves be removed from the file hosting site's servers. Learn more about our DMCA Policy by clicking here.

Anarchy Nation takes no responsibility for what any user encounters when following a link outside this website. This includes (but not limited to) advertisements, pop-ups, embedded adware/malware, suggestion of paid subsriptions, etc. We highly encourage users to have proper firewall, anti-virus and malicious script-blocking software installed on their platforms. It is better to be safe than sorry!

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com