Anarchy Nation - A forum for the twisted!
April 25, 2017, 05:10:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Link Exchange ToS/DMCA Contact Login Register  
Poll
Question: Well, which one?
Automatic - 7 (16.3%)
Manual - 35 (81.4%)
Pedal Shifters - 1 (2.3%)
Total Voters: 42

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Automatic vs. Manual: Which do you prefer?  (Read 46475 times)
Anarchology
Administrator

Respect: +171

View Profile WWWAnarchologyORG
1PGrhhSNXpYeo3DD7bnU9RMvJFX7A2uFoh

« on: December 02, 2009, 02:46:24 AM »
+1

I know that both automatic and manual transmission cars have their strong points. Even in racing, you see difference of opinion depending on the type or racing. Personally, I like manual transmissions because they are much more fun. Me having to shift continuously coming home from work usually kept me awake if the day was long. A missed gear usually would wake anyone up.
Tinfoil

Respect: +17

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2009, 03:15:05 AM »

Auto is good for the 1/4 mile when in bracket racing. It adds to consistency. Manuals are better for circuit racing. You need that extra control. Manuals are more fun, IMO.
Bowdlerize
VIP Member

Respect: +50

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:25:03 AM »
+1

I prefer manual's they are just more fun to me, tho when in traffic that is too slow for 2nd & too fast for 1st its annoying.
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2009, 04:25:03 AM »

ieatfish2

Respect: +1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 07:51:18 PM »
+1

Manuals are great because you get that exta control but when I'm in stop and go traffic nothing is worse than having a manual.
chris7891011

Respect: +3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 05:36:01 PM »
+1

My car is an auto right now. That's fine by me. Eventually I'll want a manual to have fun with but for city driving, auto is the way to go.
katzskillz
Global Moderator

Respect: +151

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 06:45:58 AM »

In my belief, manuals are the better. This may sound silly, but with a manual you actually "drive" your car, rather than just simply pushing down the gas pedal in an auto. It makes the driving experience more interactive and enjoyable. Don't get me wrong though, autos have major advantages in certain situations, but again it's all about the effort your willing to put into it. Some people like to take more part in their travels while others simply enjoy cruising in an auto, nothing wrong with either preference.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 06:54:58 AM by katzskillz » Logged
ninefingers
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 12:40:00 PM »
+1

Autos are best on hills. But, I enjoy the control I have with a manual. I can downshift to hold her back; not be handcuffed to  when the transmission  feels like shifting...
barrywestflash

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 09:28:04 PM »

Manual certainly more fun, and it seems to make your muscle car seem more muscley
Dan4096

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:32:36 AM »
+1

Autos like the one in my 2001 Renault Scenic are sluggish and annoying, they'll only change down from 4th to 3rd up a slope after the revs have dropped by 1000 and you've lost 10km/h off your speed, but the dual-clutch/Steptronic autos in new sports cars are pretty good.

Overall, I prefer a manual, and I am yet to try a car with a flappy-paddle gearbox. I'm interested in them.
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 05:32:36 AM »

joeskater26

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 04:35:55 PM »

I prefer manual over automatic just about any day, not in the city though. Ive also heard manuals get better gas milage? is there any truth into this?
ljungman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »

I love manual in any vehicle, car or ATV, but not in the city. Auto is the only way to with all the stop and go and it's not like you need the extra power to get you to work in the morning.

People with auto ATVs however I have no respect for. ATV's should always be at least semi-auto (auto-clutch).
evilf23

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »
+1

manual all day long, its much more involving to use both hands and feet. makes you feel more part of the machine. i dont really care for how everything in new cars is automated ie: electronic throttle, traction control, active suspensions, etc... just give me old fashioned mechanical parts, not computers.
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 11:29:00 AM »

ninefingers
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 10:08:04 PM »

manual all day long, its much more involving to use both hands and feet. makes you feel more part of the machine. i dont really care for how everything in new cars is automated ie: electronic throttle, traction control, active suspensions, etc... just give me old fashioned mechanical parts, not computers.

Dig it.  All that computerized nonsense will go away in an EMP pulse.  Give me a carburetor.  Plus, manuals keep you awake on a long drive; something to do...like opening the window on a winter night while crossing the Tehachapis--the chill air will keep you awake- Shocked
blooray

Respect: +2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 06:13:46 PM »
+1

its gotta be a manual FTW. u wont beat good old clutch and stick shift
ftpmike1980

Respect: +2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2010, 05:45:53 PM »

I think it depends on the terrain that you are in.  Someone probably posted something about this but in my opinion, if you live in the Midwest where it's relatively flat, a automatic transmission car will do.  If you live in hilly and mountainous areas you definitely need a manual car to keep the right gears in place during up and down driving, ie engine breaking

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

DISCLAIMER
    Content such as images and videos posted by members are NOT hosted on Anarchy Nation servers. They are hotlinks where the images are hosted elsewhere, and the links point to these these third party sites. None of these sites are affiliated with Anarchy Nation. Do not submit DMCA requests to the owners of this site. Instead follow the links, and request the files themselves be removed from the file hosting site's servers. Learn more about our DMCA Policy by clicking here.

Anarchy Nation takes no responsibility for what any user encounters when following a link outside this website. This includes (but not limited to) advertisements, pop-ups, embedded adware/malware, suggestion of paid subsriptions, etc. We highly encourage users to have proper firewall, anti-virus and malicious script-blocking software installed on their platforms. It is better to be safe than sorry!

Design By simply sibyl And CreateAForum.com